Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Subterranean

Parenthetical Girls is a band hailing from Everett Washington that I had in my music library for a few months. I remember scanning through their "Safe as Houses" album and turning my nose up to it in disgust. Ironically enough like some of my favorite bands in the past year that were presented before me (such as Xiu Xiu and Casiotone For The Painfully Alone), I listened to the "Safe As Houses" album again and had a completely different mindset when taking in the opera vocal styles and indie-rock instrumentation. I was completely blown away, and I believe that this band is going to get heavy rotation from me within the coming weeks. It's amazing that some of my favorite bands and artists I could not stomach their music initially, but after giving their music a chance months down the line, I learned that their music was extremely good. I guess that when you have an artist, producer, DJ, or even band that is so original in their sound, it takes a while for a music lover to digest what they are hearing.


I have always had an extreme longing to go to the UK; I really do not know why, but ever since I can remember going to the UK has been something that I have always wanted to do. Out of the city of Leeds, England comes the band that I was introduced to two years ago, ¡Forward, Russia! After seeing their video for the song, "Nineteen," I initially knew that ¡Forward, Russia! would be a band that I would listen to for some time. With their current album, "Life Processes," there are an eclectic arrangement of songs displaying the true talent that this UK band possesses. It would be a great idea to check this band out; I want one of those exclamation point t-shirts!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm still in the disgust mode. Parenthetical Girls totally suck in my opinion. That guy's (?) voice is terrible and this cd drags!