Monday, March 3, 2008

Troubles of Youth

At the age of twenty-three, I have learned much about myself through the many interactions and hardships that I have encountered with peers within my age range (of 21-25). I have learned that I am definitely older in the mind than I am physically; I have been told that I have an old soul and I am really starting to believe that this is true. I realize that I interact much easier with those that tend to be in their late twenties to early thirties. A lot of times when I talk to people my age, I feel like I am talking to little kids; the things that they do without any kind of regard for anyone else shows a true lack of maturity.
My mother even said this last week, "You need an older woman; you need to talk to a woman in her early thirties." Could you imagine me (at the age of 23) hearing my mother saying that I should talk to women 10 years older than me? It was not so surprising that I heard this from my mother seeing as I get along easier with people already ten years older than me in the first place. It seems that people that are much older than me tend to understand me much more than my peers whom seem to be consumed with bullshit most of the time.
I have even noticed with my male peers the lack of maturity is truly infectious. Being at the age where most are extremely immature and are struggling to find a balance between late night bar binges and paying rent, I have felt like I was talking to little children when friends of mine talk about particular things that they have encountered in their lives. Listening to twenty something college graduate friends of mine complain about living on their own sounds almost elementary to me.
We all struggle at some point in our youth to find a balance between paying rent and having a dwindling childhood, but I have realized that I have grown so much faster than those around me. It is sad, and I am thinking of engaging on more interactions with those humans that are physically ten years in stature ahead of me in age, but obviously with minds that should parallel each other without a problem.

1 comment:

Rehmi said...

Your words have bombed my brains. Your mom has a real good point. Eventually we all loose our balance its best to fall forward though if possible. BTW really liked how you described the true meaning of a "bitch" that one day we was out breaking bread. Had me laughing for like 10 minutes. keep up the good work I'll try not to binge at the bars as much. Gone.