Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Substantial Interview


The Maryland/ Washington DC area has never truly been known as a hotbed for producing hip-hop emcees on a national scale, but after attending a CunninLynguists show and seeing this young cat, Substantial (hailing from Prince George’s County, Maryland) I realized that I could not have been more wrong. I went to college out in Maryland and I had never even heard of this cat Substantial from any of my peers from the Mid-Atlantic region. In fact, the first time I had heard of Substantial was on Nujabes’ “Metaphorical Music” LP; Nujabes remixed Sub’s “Blessing It” and “Think Different.” On his latest solo release, ‘Sacrifice” Substantial displays the essential elements of extreme cadence and epic production within the 16 songs on the LP. You can catch Substantial’s two videos for the songs, “It’s You (I Think)” and “Resurrection of the House Party” on YouTube. He sat behind a merch table at the CunninLynguists show when I walked in and seemed like a truly humble dude. Substantial and I talk about his latest album, “Sacrifice,” his collaborations with Nujabes, and what he views the plateau of hip-hop at this present time.

First and foremost, I would like to thank you Substantial for taking time away from your busy schedule with your touring with CunninLynguists to conduct this interview with me. First things, first. Tell the readers why Substantial is bringing true substance to the hip-hop game.

The substance I bring comes from my everyday experiences. I am constantly trying to be the best “me”. So as long as I stay true to myself, I’ll always have a somewhat unique perspective because there’s only one me.

Being from the Mid-Atlantic region of Maryland/DC, a lot of our readers do not know too many rappers/emcees from the region. Frankly, man, the only hip-hop cats I can name from the area are Wale, Spank Rock, Kev Brown, and you. Who are some of the big names in the Maryland/DC area that most of the readers might not have heard of?

My man Oddisee has been doing the damn thing for a minute. He’s down with Kev Brown, who you mentioned before. Then of course, there’s Ken Starr who’s also down with them. There’s folks like Asheru, Storm the Unpredictable, Kokayi but a lot of times around here, we’re overshadowed by the local Go-Go bands. It’s all love though.

Are you working on any projects right now? What is keeping Substantial busy nowadays? Are you apart of any hip-hop groups or crews? What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I’m mainly promoting my album, “Sacrifice” right now, but I’m trying to wrap up this EP with a producer named Burns from Pittsburgh. It’s gonna be a 6 song project and [going to] keep the listeners wanting more.

I’m apart of Extended Famm, [With]The Joe Brothers and The Plague so of course, my pen gets little to no rest.

In my spare time I do graphic design, martial arts, and watch movies.

I met you touring with the CunninLynguists cats in San Francisco; what other artists have you toured with? How is it going touring with CunninLynguists? What city has been the most hype crowd so far on this tour, and what city do you most like performing in front of?

I have also toured with other members of QN5 Music (Mr. SOS, Pack FM, Session, & Tonedeff) and Nujabes. Most of the time when I’ve toured, it’s been solo.

The tour with CL has been great. They are some of the coolest folks you’ll ever meet and very professional. The city that was the most hype was definitely Eugene, OR. When I saw our tour schedule, I did not expect them to be that hype. But, they were pretty damn “awesome” (That was our official tour word). The city I had the most fun performing for was tied between Victoria, Canada and Bend, OR. All of the shows were a lot of fun, but it’s rare to see crowds so hyped about an artist they’ve never heard of.

Are there any other genres of music that you draw you’re musical influences from?

Although I listen to everything, I tend to draw most of my influences from Jazz & Soul Music.

How did you end up with being on QN5 Music with the likes of hip-hop cats such as Tonedeff and CunninLynguists?

I’ve known a lot of the artists on QN5 Music for years and had been featured on a lot of their releases. It was only a matter of time I guess. Once I was close to finishing “Sacrifice”, Tonedeff offered to help finish and release it. We’ve been labelmates ever since.

How did you end up with working with the Japanese producer, Nujabes? That song “Think Different” on his Metaphorical Music LP was hot!

Thanks bro. I met Nujabes through my friend, Sphere of Influence. The next thing I know, I’m in Japan recording my first full length LP.

I heard you mention that you were cool with Kool Herc. How did you end up meeting him and have you ever worked with him on any songs, parties, or shows? How does it feel to be acquainted with a hip-hop giant?

I met Herc through my wife’s college professor and not too long after that he ended up spinning at my wedding. We’ve worked together a few times. While I was working on “Sacrifice,” I recorded him and used his vocals for the hidden track on my album and I also do fliers for his parties occasionally. He’s a truly great brother. It’s rare that people get to meet the person who had a hand in creating what you’re passionate about, so I know it’s a blessing to be able to call him a friend.

On the song “A PG Boy,” you talk about growing up in Prince George’s County, Maryland. For the cats that are reading this right now, can you please explain to them a little more about your area? From growing up in Maryland, is the local go-go music a big influence in what you listen to? I know you got some Backyard Band and CCB songs in your iPod, man.

Ok surprise #1, I do not own an iPod. Surprise #2, I don’t listen to Go-Go that much. [I] gotta keep it all the way real with y’all. I still fool with Chuck Brown and I used to listen to a lot of Rare Essence and Northeast Groovers when I was younger, but I haven’t been following it as much these days. I do mess with a few of the new bands like LISSEN, UCB, and Mambo Sauce though.

As far as what it’s like around here... it’s everything. Wild sometimes but laid back. A lot of minorities are doing really well for themselves out here, but the hoods here are nothing to sleep on.

You had a real smooth, jazzy tone to your latest LP, “Sacrifice.” Did you produce anything on the LP? Who else produced on the album?

I didn’t handle any production on the record. I left it to folks like Kno & Deacon (CunninLynguists), Tonedeff, Fero Navi, Burns, Von Johnson, Donnan Links, Studio Steve Wallace, Final, Definition and my man Algorythm. Algorythm handled the most production on the project.

Since the title of your current album is “Sacrifice,” what do you feel like you had to sacrifice to get to where you are today? What would be the ultimate goal that you would like to accomplish in your lifetime?

I sacrificed a lot of rest, money and time with my family. The ultimate goal would be to raise and support a healthy family while doing what I love.

I was watching your video for the song “It’s You (I Think)” and I wanted to know if there was a female that was inspiration for the song. Was there a muse in the female form that made you decide to write the song? It was a great song by the way man, and if you haven’t checked out the video, readers…go do so on YouTube!

Thanks again. There were actually 3 females that inspired the song. Each verse is about a different girl I dated when I was younger.

I was looking on your Myspace page and seen that you were coming out with a clothing line. Where do you get inspiration for your fashion designs? I heard you say that you did graff (graffiti); do some of your designs come from this? What’s the name of the fashion line?

Well I used to really want to have my own clothing line, but I don’t really think about it as much anymore. I do have my shirts and hoodies that I push to promote my name, but that’s pretty much it for now. Yeah I still do graff (in my black book) here and there and I definitely use some my graff skilsl in some of my designs. I had a few different names I threw around back in the day, but nothing official right now.

If you could do a collaboration with any bands, artists, producers, or composers (dead or alive), who would they be with?

Wow, we could be here all day with that one.

OK, well for those still with us:

Amy Winehouse, Common, De La Soul, Dr. Dre, Dungeon Family, Elzhi, Erykah Badu, Guilty Simpson, Jill Scott, Kanye, Lord Have Mercy, Lupe, Mint Condition, Neptunes, Pharoah Monch, Portishead, Radiohead, Sean Price, Stevie Wonder, The Roots, and Timbaland (Just off the top of my head)

For those that have past:

J Dilla, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stan Getz (This is my short list because I could turn this into some marathon shit easily.)

I would like to thank you Substantial for taking the time to help me put this interview together so the hip-hop heads can get to know you better as a person and emcee. Are there any other things that you would like to say to the readers?

Thanks. And to the readers... Buy my album!

Substantial is a hella humble cat with extremely tremendous potential; go do yourself a favor and buy his latest LP entitled “Sacrifice.” You will not be disappointed. Make sure to check out Substantial on his Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/substantial). Defining Substantial in a short synopsis: Substantial brings the raw aspects of a true emcee to life in a hip-hop landscape currently that is infused with cliché acts. Sub, thanks for the time.

1 comment:

Rehmi said...

Loving this album...a must have...if you like good music.

Good lookin K.E.V. - Gone!