Tuesday, April 3, 2007


So...I downloaded this album last week, and I finally got around to listening to it Friday. (Yeah, yeah, yeah...illegal, so what!) The very first time I heard anything about Brother Ali was on a song called "Cats Van Bags" on Atmosphere's "Seven's Travels" album. I was instantly interested into getting one of his albums, but I didn't get one until recently.

This album is decent. Brother Ali is a lyricist that can basically spit lyrics in the most profound and conscious ways, but overall, I wasn't blown away by this album. I am a music enthusiast (especially when it comes to underground hip hop and rock), therefore I wasn't too impressed with the album. Not to say take anything away from Brother Ali as an artist; it's just that this album was good, but not great. Songs such as "Faheem" and "Pedigree" were great attributes of Ali's musical work that helped to change somewhat of my perception of this album. More or less, he is a great emcee, but he seems much greater of an artist to feature on someone else's music rather than his own solo project.

This album has 14 songs, and even though I wasn't too blown away by the lyrical content or instrumental beats I would recommend "The Undisputed Truth" to any person looking to gain more of an underground taste to their music library.

Overall grade- 7.8

No comments: