Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Conformity.

More and more, whining about the eastern shore of Maryland sucking! LOL. I don't mean to write these BS blogs as of late but I am really ready to go back home to Cali and I am sick of all of these kids at this boring college....Hmmm....let's pick a topic for the day...conformity!

Conformity is the act of conforming to something. Not neccessarily to anything that is good for you, but acutally submitting to doing something just because it is the "normal" thing to do. Everyone conforms to something...the whole act of going to college to get a good job is an act of conformity that most of us have done in our lifetimes because it is what is taught in our society that is the right thing to do to become successful in life. But, if going to college to get a great job is how to be successful in life, then I guess people like the kid that started Napster (who didn't even finish high school) wouldn't be considered a success, right? I believe that this is all bullshit!

No one should have to spend thousands of dollars that they don't have for four to five years of their lives to become "successful business people for our future." I hate the whole idea of conformity and its taboos that it places on people that don't conform to what is the "right thing to do." It really pisses me off how there are people in the world that can easily do the occupational traits of certain white-collar jobs (such as an executive of a marketing firm or an advertising executive), but since they didn't have the money to invest four years of their lives being miseducated of how the world is to get a piece of paper saying "Hey, I went to college! Hire me!," they aren't given the opportunity to these jobs.

Conforming to the bullshit of society's "invisible laws of success" stretches far beyond those of the educational and financial realm. Doing, liking, listening to, and viewing certain things is an act of conformity. We are in the delta state when we are just sitting there in front of television sets. During this point of the delta state is when we are most "sponge-like" to absorbing information. "GO BUY A NISSAN...GO BUY AN iPOD...GO BUY A LEXUS (subtext: Even though you can't afford it) GO FILL OUR POCKETS WITH EXTREME AMOUNTS OF WEALTH!"

I know that went over most of your heads, but I hope eventually that you will understand that my point is that we all in some sense conform to things even if we don't want to. Ask certain young people why they dress certain ways, and they might tell you because it's "cool." But, who the hell told them what they were wearing was cool in the first place? Is it maybe because they seen it on the TV set a million times (subliminally) while watching "The Real World" or "106 n Park?" Most likely, yes!
Conformity is the one thing that keeps most people as mental prisoners. Learn to step out of the box and say "Fuck it!" To care what other people think about you is to conform to things, and I (for one) am not cool with this whole "college to get a good job" shit! I am a marketing major and I know for sure that I will not be using my degree in the future. What a waste of money, right? I can't just drop out of college and start my own indie bookstore, indie radio station, zine (an independent magazine, in a sense full of radical thoughts, essays, and poems...also art) or website like I want to. But, I want to.

No comments: